Seattle Pacific University
Automotive Maintenance Mechanic Lead
About Seattle Pacific University:
Founded in 1891, Seattle Pacific University has a long and distinguished history in Christian higher education. Located just minutes from downtown Seattle, SPU seeks to be a premier Christian University fully committed to engaging the culture and changing the world by graduating people of competence and character, becoming people of wisdom, and modeling grace-filled community. Seattle Pacific University seeks applicants committed to its Christian mission. Due to our mission of cultural engagement, SPU is committed to building an excellent and diverse staff and faculty. People from historically underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged to apply.
General Summary:Performs automotive work on motor-pool and maintenance vehicles, and equipment. Establishes and keeps accurate inventory and vehicle records for all related service station activities. Leads and directs student labor to assist in maintaining (cleaning) of all motor-pool vehicles. Serves as the Hazardous Work Operations Supervisor. The department is willing to train a fitting candidate on Hazardous Waste handling.
- Performs automotive work on motor-pool and maintenance vehicles, and equipment (gas/diesel/electric/propane).
- Establishes and keeps accurate inventory and vehicle records for all related service activities.
- Performs necessary repairs and adjustments on university owned landscape equipment.
- Adheres to all safety and warranty requirements for University owned vehicles and equipment per manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Leads and directs part-time labor to assist in maintaining (cleaning) of vehicles.
- Serves as the Hazardous Work Operations Supervisor for the Facilities Department and coordinates Physical Plant Hazardous Waste Collections disposal/emergency spill response in accordance with applicable WAC, DOT and RCRA regulations. Department is willing to provide training to earn credentials to meet this requirement.
- Twenty-four hour on-call for plant haz-mat emergency.
- Arranges for Auto Shop And Building Maintenance Hazardous Waste Shipment, and maintains records.
- Acts as project lead for assigned projects of a complex nature including UST replacements, demolition projects and minor renovations.
- Performs carpentry and concrete related jobs that may involve heavy equipment operation as required by assignment. Department also willing to help train.
- Directly supervises personnel as well as outside contractors during hazardous waste cleanup operations. Controls and coordinates all hazardous waste cleanup sites. Department will also offer training for hazardous waste related requirements.
- Trains Facilities personnel in accordance with RCRA, WISHA, L&I, and D.O.E. for hazardous waste emergency procedures, equipment, emergency systems, and monitoring equipment. Department will assist with training as needed.
- Responsible to be on-call (for department in general) on a rotating basis approximately four times a year. The person on-call is responsible to be available via phone or pager during off-hours, including weekends, and be able to respond to the campus within two hours of being contacted.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Three years auto mechanic and small engine repair experience.
- One year Hazardous Materials handling experience, preferred. Department willing to train.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s license and ability to drive service vehicle.
- Ability to load and unload materials.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
- Must be able to carry, climb and lift different size ladders.
- Must possess the physical dexterity to work in, under, and around motor vehicles.
- Must be knowledgeable in incident response operations, team functions, personnel safety and field equipment.
- Ability to operate: Gas/diesel/electric/propane service vehicles – pickup trucks, vans, gators; forklift, high lift, backhoe, box truck, dump truck, tractor, snow blower; hand and power tools such as pressure washer, chainsaw, sidewalk cutter; pumps; large building back-up power diesel generator and small portable generators. Training available on some equipment handling.
- Ability to be on call for haz-mat emergencies as well as a general, rotating on-call schedule for department four times a year. May need to respond at any hour of day or night. Will receive training for haz-mat.
- Certifications are preferred but the department is willing to help train/obtain certifications.
o PPE Certifications of A, B, C, D and Supervisor’s certification, preferred. Or willingness to obtain certification.
o RCRA and OSHA certification.
o HAZWOPER 40 hr Certification, preferred. Or willingness to obtain certification.
o Forklift certification.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products such as Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Welding experience a plus.
- ASE Certified Master Technician, a plus.
Position will remain open until filled.
This is a full time, benefited position. Benefits paid in full for employee (medical, dental, vision). University contributions made to retirement plan and a tuition benefit program is also available.
Salary: $61,000 – $62,000 Annually
Please submit a cover letter and resume along with online application.
For more information and to apply, visit: https://spu.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=103159